Our annual extreme weather information week is underway this week, with sessions being held for our private guests, commercial operators and tenants.
A special thanks to Shane (HSE Supervisor) & Trent (Operations Manager) from our marina team and Ben Morgan (Maritime Safety Queensland) for leading the sessions. We host these sessions annually to provide updated information to vessel owners about how they can better prepare their vessels for extreme weather events, including strong winds, heavy rain and the threat of cyclones. Experience has taught us that preparation is key!
Have you considered your vessel preparation in the event of extreme weather?
Some items to consider in terms of vessel preparation:
– All bilge pumps are operational
– All Sea cocks are operational
– All self-draining openings are clear
– All safety equipment is up to date and in working order
– All cleats and associated fittings are in good working order
– Storm anchors, spare warps and fenders are ready
– All loose items below deck securely stowed
– All hatches and vents secured
– Provisioned the vessel with fresh water, fuel and ensure all batteries are fully charged
– Checked all mooring lines and warps for chafing and deterioration
– Have double mooring lines in place
– Have sufficient fenders deployed
– Remove all deck gear including lifebuoys, dodgers, biminis, deck cushions and clears and store below deck
– Remove sails, furling sails and covers. If not possible tie these components with multiple ties
– Secure your tender, ideally in a dinghy locker/garage or deflated and stored below deck
Have you advised your insurance company of your plans for the vessel during the summer season?
If not, we highly recommend you speak with them to see if there are any specific requirements for vessel preparation in relation to your policy. For example, those insured with Pantaenius Insurance must have a Named Tropical Storm Contingency Plan – click here for details.
Coral Sea Marina: Extreme Weather Preparation Plan – Vessel Owners and Masters
Each year we update our Extreme Weather Preparation Plan for Vessel Owners and Masters and we highly recommend all marina guests and vessel owners familiarise themselves with this plan in advance of any extreme weather event. For the most recent version CLICK HERE.
If you have any questions about how best to prepare your vessel, please contact the marina office to speak with our operations team.